Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Ukraine Trip 2007 - Part IV

Day 6: We made a morning excursion to visit a historic village in Uzhorrod. They have houses from all through the centuries to show how the houses in Ukraine have changed. Some of them have been transported from all around the country. We had a guide and it was pretty interesting. The things they could do with hay is quite incredible. Walking around the city itself is always fun. It's exactly how a European town is portrayed in the movies. There are street dogs everywhere and this year I was able to ignore them most of the time. Being a dog lover it was more difficult the first year. I was doing great until Jen and I spotted this little, black pathetic looking thing. He was so mild and submissive. He let us come right up to him and pet him. He just seemed to be soaking up all of the attention. I didn't want to leave him and wondered what Mom and Dad would say if I brought home another dog. However, Mr. Whissel was keeping a close eye on us and he dragged us away before I had a chance to do anything. After freezing for a while we stopped in at a small cafe that was really crowded. It was a lot like Starbucks but smaller so there was no seating only counter space. I had a hot chocolate and I think it just might have been the best I've ever tasted. Back at Nehemiah we had to don our mud gear again. This time we were visiting a gypsy village pronounced something like Zereechivo. Thankfully we were not crammed into a van but were able to take a bus. I sat next to Lessa watching everything. My mind was pretty distracted that day. This village was even more mudding than the first with a few brown spots that were definitely NOT mud. This mud was different. It suction-cupped to your shoes and you had to work for every step. No wonder they have a pump to wash their shoes before they go into the church. This building was even smaller than the last. Pastor Paul had us praying for healings for different people. My mind was far away where it had no business being and so I spent the rest of our short time there beating myself up for it. It can be pretty depressing watching everyone around you have this great spiritual experience and connecting with all the poeple around them and you can't seem to reign your mind in and concentrate. Walking out of the village I was having a full blown pity party. A couple of the girls were walking with some little kids who had had their pictures taken about a million times. This little blond angel came up beside me so I took her hand and we sloshed our way through the mud. Before we got to the road she stopped beside a house. I figured it was hers and she was going to go in but instead she ran behind the house. I kept walking to the other side thinking that she was going to come around but she was gone. I looked around a little but just like that she had disappeared. In the bus the girls behind me we sobbing and going on about how they had to come back some day and they started praying. What they were doing was what they should have been doing but it was not what I wanted to listen to right then. Lessa had patted the seat beside her for me to sit with her again, so I did. She let me lay my head on her shoulder and close my eyes. I was so mad at myself for being distracted and missing out and not being one of the girls crying my eyes out over the whole thing. I just stayed there for about ten minutes, silent tears running down my face, praying to God. When I sat up Lessa took my hand in hers, snuggled right up to me, and rested her head on me. Sitting there holding her for the next half hour I was so blown away by the fact that she had practically nothing and no one in the world and barely any hope of anything better and yet she was comforting me who had friends, family, possessions, and the chance to do anything I want. Talk about being humbled. Those next thirty minutes were the best ones of the entire trip for me. I would have done the whole thing just for that. That night was pretty much like the previous. We did bead work in the prayer room while indoor games of frisbee and ball were going on. It was a little dangerous just sitting there like a target while I worked on a necklace. Within five minutes I was smacked by three frisbees and a ball. I suppose it was slightly more dangerous later when we were up on the second floor putting the girls to bed. It was hot in the room so we opened the window. The windows there don't have any screens so I hung my legs over the ledge and managed to freak everyone out. It scared them more when Tiana pretended to push me out. lol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your an excellent writer Lyndsi! Keep up the great work!